Anti-Normcore Cut Up Poem
I was looking at posts on Tumblr tagged “normcore” and the very first one is a diatribe against the tongue-in-cheek fashion trend for being prejudiced against the disabled. Seriously.
Anyway, here’s a cut up poem I made with sentences and phrases from the article.
Wide-legged trousers are always a welcome change,
but don’t get me started on harem pants
Accidentally cosplaying as a member of X-Factor-era One Direction?
having an awkward or different looking body opens up all manner of possibilities of challenging
Clothes that helped tell the world who I was
your local independent vegan cafe
The tagline: Normal,
self-described “black queer crip,”
Blending in is a privilege only
The “look of nothing” is never going to be available
No thanks, I think I’ll stay weird.
No pie-eating people can ever be permanently vanquished.
Brief Primer on Ukraine
I’m far from an expert or even a knowledgeable hobbyist on Eastern Europe and Russia, but here are a few things about the recent national revolution in Ukraine.
• The Western media portrayed the conflict as one between The People who favored EU integration (and therefore democracy and human rights) and a corrupt government who was partial to Russia because of its large reserves of natural gas.
• This narrative is only partially correct. The protesters-turned-street-fighters did prefer EU integration but not because they were partial to the democratic-liberalism, but because of strong anti-Russian sentiments which are quite understandable in Western Ukraine.
• They say politics makes strange bedfellows but this is truly one of the strangest (outside of Syria where a post-9/11 US government supports Al Qaeda to topple a secular regime). Here were have far right Ukrainian nationalists who hate Russia for historical reasons (anti-imperialism) being cheered on by Western progressives who hate Russia because they won’t let 4% of their population march down the street with their cocks hanging out.
• To reiterate, the Western media and progressive sideliners supported street fighters who were well to the right of both the Ukrainian government and the Putin regime.
• I wonder how likely it is that there will be any Gay Pride parades in Western Ukraine now that the Right Sector is victorious?
• The Ukrainian street fighters, though scantily armed, were able to beat the better armed riot squads because they were willing to kill and be killed. Contrast that with the general pussydom of Occupy which purported to be about taking down the whole system not just one measly corrupt regime.